On January 20th, 2021, Joe Biden signed an Executive Order. It is named, “Advancing Racial Equity and Support for Underserved Communities Through the Federal Government”, otherwise known as the Equity E.O. The order tells regulators of various departments to focus on boosting equity in the community. The Department of Transportation (DOT) wants your input on how it can better do this.
Request for Equity Information
On June 1st, 2021, the DOT announced a Request for Information (RFI). They have a questionnaire of twenty five questions to fill out that can help guide their policy. Questions that may interest truckers include:
- (22) What high-quality career pathways programs or educational pipelines have state and local governments utilized or implemented to diversify their transportation workforce? What have the results been? How were the results of the programs measured?
- (23) What practices has the transportation industry taken to increase diversity and retain individuals from underserved populations within its workforce? How should the Department measure the overall impacts, especially the diversity impacts, on the workforce through Federal funding, policies, and programs?
- (24) What tools and best practices might the Department utilize to augment minority and disadvantaged business programs to create pathways for jobs in the transportation industry, and jobs of the future?
- (25) What type of data should we collect to measure the success of workforce programs? How do we assess if we are placing underserved populations in these job programs and into jobs; how do we track retention rates and opportunities for advancement; and how do we assess whether these are good-paying jobs?
You can submit a formal comment on the Federal Register’s related webpage. The comment window closes June 24th, but the DOT may consider comments made after that date at their own discretion.
Top Trucking Articles of the Past Year
- Congress Considers Side Guards for Trailers
- Truck Parking Bill Makes a Comeback
- Joe Biden’s Infrastructure Plan and How it Impacts Truckers
- CVSA Operation Safe Driver Week Starts July 11th
- Companies and Drivers Split on DRIVE-Safe Act
- Trucking Insurance Bill Reintroduced to Congress
- AB-5 Applies to Trucking, Appeals Court Ruled
- FMCSA Declares Regional Emergency Regarding Fuel
- I-40 Bridge Shut Down Until Further Notice
ABOUT TOPMARK FUNDING
TopMark Funding is a top-rated semi-truck financing and trailer financing company located in Roseville, CA. We specialize in commercial trucking and heavy equipment. Our mission is to become your long-term financial partner by helping you grow your trucking business and fleet.
We’re not here for the short-term, we’re on the long-haul with you!
Learn more about Trailer Financing.
Fill out the contact form or give us a call at (866) 627-6644. One of our truck financing specialists will contact you as soon as possible to go over your truck lease needs and learn more about you and your business financing goals.