58% of truck drivers are willing to admit to performing unauthorized parking at least three times per week. Minneapolis’ city council has devised a law that will probably make the citizens and tourists of Minneapolis very happy, but will make truck drivers furious.
On Friday, July 23rd, the city council voted 12-1 for a truck parking ban. There are only three exceptions to the rule:
- The truck is “actually and expeditiously engaged in the loading and unloading” of people or materials.
- The truck is stopped or parked at the discretion of a police officer or traffic control agent.
- The vehicle is in a zone with signage authorizing parking of vehicles of increased weights.
This means that any spots within Minneapolis city limits that are already authorized truck parking will continue to be so, however, parallel parking next to a long, empty stretch of sidewalk will be prohibited outright.
The law becomes official come 2022, starting with a $150 fine for each violation, increasing by $50 each year until it caps at $250 per infraction.
The ordinance also asks city staff to work on expanding authorized spots within city limits, though that process is expected to take longer than a year, creating a period of low parking and high fines of an indeterminable length.
The declaration has been met with negative reception from the trucking community, particularly those closest to the city.
“[We are] extremely disappointed with the action of the Minneapolis City Council,” John Hausladen, President and CEO of the Minnesota Trucking Association, said. “It not only bans on-street parking for commercial trucks, but it provides no meaningful city resources to address the need for safe truck parking. We should be looking for ways to provide more safe parking for truck drivers, instead of pursuing a policy that would diminish an essential industry and do real economic harm to the city.”
The law will likely be challenged in court, as most laws impeding truckers usually are. Until then, mark your calendars for the new year, and plan ahead to get out of the city before your hours-of-service expires.
Top Trending Trucking Articles
- Congress Considers Side Guards for Trailers
- Truck Parking Bill Makes a Comeback
- Joe Biden’s Infrastructure Plan and How it Impacts Truckers
- CVSA Operation Safe Driver Week Starts July 11th
- Companies and Drivers Split on DRIVE-Safe Act
- Trucking Insurance Bill Reintroduced to Congress
- AB-5 Applies to Trucking, Appeals Court Ruled
- FMCSA Declares Regional Emergency Regarding Fuel
- I-40 Bridge Shut Down Until Further Notice
ABOUT TOPMARK FUNDING
TopMark Funding is a top-rated semi-truck financing and trailer financing company located in Roseville, CA. We specialize in commercial trucking and heavy equipment. Our mission is to become your long-term financial partner by helping you grow your trucking business and fleet.
We’re not here for the short-term, we’re on the long-haul with you!
Learn more about Trailer Financing.
Fill out the contact form or give us a call at (866) 627-6644. One of our truck financing specialists will contact you as soon as possible to go over your truck lease needs and learn more about you and your business financing goals.