Another quarter, another announcement regarding the pandemic. The FMCSA has announced another extension to the hours-of-service (HOS) exemption for the hauling of goods related to the coronavirus state of emergency.
The declaration can be read in its entirety via the FMCSA’s website. It follows the standard procedure for the exemption, with no modifications or changes beyond the predicted end date.
As a refresher, these supplies are:
- Livestock and feed.
- Medical supplies and equipment directly related to COVID-19.
- Coronavirus vaccines and supplies used to help distribute/administer them.
- Safety and sanitation supplies such as gloves, masks, and hand sanitizer.
- Food and other groceries for emergency restocking of stores.
As always, the FMCSA emphasizes that this exemption is only for the hours-of-service regulations, and that delivering coronavirus-related goods does not give drivers the privilege to text while driving, use a vehicle unfit for operation, or run traffic lights. Also worth noting, a driver who has gone beyond the standard HOS to complete a delivery must have a ten-hour break before driving again.
With over 137 million people fully vaccinated (according to the CDC’s numbers), we can only hope that this pandemic ends soon. The number of vaccinations per day is slowly dropping, however, so we can not say for sure one way or the other if this will be the last extension to the exemption.
Top Trucking Articles of the Past Year
- Congress Considers Side Guards for Trailers
- Truck Parking Bill Makes a Comeback
- Joe Biden’s Infrastructure Plan and How it Impacts Truckers
- CVSA Operation Safe Driver Week Starts July 11th
- Companies and Drivers Split on DRIVE-Safe Act
- Trucking Insurance Bill Reintroduced to Congress
- AB-5 Applies to Trucking, Appeals Court Ruled
- FMCSA Declares Regional Emergency Regarding Fuel
- I-40 Bridge Shut Down Until Further Notice
ABOUT TOPMARK FUNDING
TopMark Funding is a top-rated semi-truck financing and trailer financing company located in Roseville, CA. We specialize in commercial trucking and heavy equipment. Our mission is to become your long-term financial partner by helping you grow your trucking business and fleet.
We’re not here for the short-term, we’re on the long-haul with you!
Learn more about Trailer Financing.
Fill out the contact form or give us a call at (866) 627-6644. One of our truck financing specialists will contact you as soon as possible to go over your truck lease needs and learn more about you and your business financing goals.