The New Peterbilt 579
Recently, the folks over at PACCAR unveiled their newest upgrade to their 579 line of Class 8 trucks, aptly called “The New Model 579”. Peterbilt is hoping to innovate and change the way that truckers perform their jobs. Here is what Peterbilt touts as changes from the previous model.
While Peterbilt advertises eleven key changes to the truck’s exterior, Peterbilt takes its greatest pride in the reduced-drag design of the chassis. From their website:
“The new Model 579 offers the most advanced aerodynamic features and packages, improving fuel economy and your bottom line. The new hood and bumper were designed for maximum aerodynamic performance. The new air dam below the bumper further improves aerodynamics while maintaining ground clearance.”
Beyond reducing drag, Peterbilt made slight changes to the truck’s exterior to better make it a product of the 21st century:
- New hoods. “The new hood is narrower and with a lower crown height to improve forward visibility. The lightweight, impact-resistant Metton® material is extremely durable.”
- Bumpers. “Multipiece bumpers are designed for damage isolation and low replacement cost, and are available in four finishes for customization.”
- Air dam. “A redesigned air dam improves aerodynamics while maintaining ground clearance.”
- Wheel well closeouts. “Now available with both low profile and 11R22.5 tires, these flexible components have mounting provisions built into the hood for improved durability and easy service.”
- Ground skirts. “Enhanced aerodynamic performance is achieved through optimized design and robot construction.”
- Chassis fairings. “New tip-out chassis fairings allow easy access to chassis components and full removal without the need for tools to improve uptime.”
- Mirrors. “Sculpted mirror heads and arms maximize aerodynamic efficiency and are now located on the cowl. Advance Aero mirror with Digital Vision System are available.”
- A-pillar fairing. “The new A-pillar fairing redirects airflow around the windshield for improved aerodynamics and noise reduction.”
- LED headlights. “New LED headlights increase safety with better nighttime visibility and better daytime conspicuity. Infrared heaters also help keep the lens clear in inclement weather.”
- LED fog/driving/directional lights. “An industry first, the new three-function LED lights located in the bumper constraints a fog light function for near field, a driving light designed to complement LED high beams and a cornering light that illuminates with the turn signal.”
- Tandem axle fairings and wheel covers. “These features work together to reduce drag around rear wheels for enhanced aerodynamic performance. The fairing is constructed from a robust material to withstand road debris.”
“The new digital display is pure Peterbilt: bold design, state-of-the-art technology, and class-leading functionality,” Peterbilt says on the new Model 579’s webpage. ”The new 15” digital display is the largest in the industry, with easy-to-use features, customizable gauges, and intelligent gauge monitoring.”
Peterbilt understands that the cab is where a driver will spend most of his or her career, even when not driving. As such, they have not spared any features to make this a truck someone would want to drive for many years.
“The driver-friendly interior of the new Model 579 offers all the comforts of home and more special touches. With 8 feet of headroom, 70 cubic feet of storage, and the largest mattress in the industry, the spacious sleepers can double as a comfortable and convenient office.”
While lane assistance is hardly new to driving as a whole, Peterbilt still hopes to revolutionize the industry by using its own collision mitigation system to keep drivers safe from potential hazards they might not otherwise notice.
“Adding to existing advanced driver assistance systems, new lane-keeping assist technology utilizes inputs from the collision mitigation system to help keep the driver between the lines through an electric motor mounted on the steering column inside the cab, protected from the elements.
We have written about PACCAR engines before, and you should be happy to know that the new Model 579 will include the greatest engines that PACCAR has to offer: either the MX-11 or MX-13, both of which have been improved since we wrote our article in 2019, including being EPA 2021 certified.
“The PACCAR Powertrain maximizes your miles on the road and your payload capacity with one integrated solution. From the durable PACCAR MX Engines to the efficient 12-Speed Automated Transmission and the 40K Tandem Axle, every component is engineered to work together seamlessly.
What are your thoughts on the new Model 579? Do these new (or improved, in the case of the powertrain components) features lead the groundwork for a revolution in the trucking industry, or do you feel it is all puffery? Let us know in the comments below.
Remember, if you ever want to finance one of these new trucks, TopMark Funding can work with a dozen lenders to get you the financing you need.
Top Trucking Articles of the Past Year
- Biden’s First 100 Days and How it May Affect Trucking
- FMCSA Considers 5/5 Sleeper Berth Split
- Top 10 Semi-Truck Financing Frequently Asked Questions
- What Are The Different Types of Dump Trucks
- DOT Secretary Elaine Chao Announces Resignation
ABOUT TOPMARK FUNDING
TopMark Funding is a top-rated semi-truck financing and trailer financing company located in Roseville, CA. We specialize in commercial trucking and heavy equipment. Our mission is to become your long-term financial partner by helping you grow your trucking business and fleet.
We’re not here for the short-term, we’re on the long-haul with you!
We have financing options for trailers, semi-trucks, commercial trucks, and small businesses. We have great rates, low down payments, and flexible monthly payments regardless of credit history.
Learn more about Trailer Financing.
Fill out the contact form or give us a call at (866) 627-6644. One of our truck financing specialists will contact you as soon as possible to go over your truck lease needs and learn more about you and your business financing goals.