The Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance (CVSA) may have a week of brake inspections coming up, but that was warned of months in advance. On May 26th, the CVSA performed an unannounced day of a blitz of safety inspections. Here is what they found.
Brake Inspection Summary
- The day-long event took place across the three largest countries in North America; United States, Canada, and Mexico.
- With 10,091 inspections conducted, 1,273 vehicles were placed out-of-service. That is a failure rate of 12.6%
- The United States had both the majority of inspections and out-of-service declarations. At 8,658 inspections and 1,151 declarations, the United States had a 13.3% failure rate, compared to Canada’s 11.4% and Mexico’s 2.9%.
- Brake hoses/tubing were also examined during inspection. There were 1,725 of these violations discovered (17.1%), but 277 were severe enough to render the vehicle out-of-service (2.7%). For an out-of-service declaration to happen here, the reinforcement ply on the hoses/tubing has to be worn.
- Out of all the vehicles placed out-of-service, 21.8% of them were due to the hosing/tubing.
With millions of trucks on the road, it is concerning that the CVSA’s sample size of a little over 10,000 had a double-digit failure rate. Assuming the trucks inspected were done so randomly, this means that a few hundred thousand trucks on the road have substandard brakes.
Whatever the case, it will be interesting to see how the statistics compare to the CVSA Brake Safety Week come August 22-28.
Top Trending Trucking Articles
- Congress Considers Side Guards for Trailers
- Truck Parking Bill Makes a Comeback
- Joe Biden’s Infrastructure Plan and How it Impacts Truckers
- CVSA Operation Safe Driver Week Starts July 11th
- Companies and Drivers Split on DRIVE-Safe Act
- Trucking Insurance Bill Reintroduced to Congress
- AB-5 Applies to Trucking, Appeals Court Ruled
- FMCSA Declares Regional Emergency Regarding Fuel
- I-40 Bridge Shut Down Until Further Notice
ABOUT TOPMARK FUNDING
TopMark Funding is a top-rated semi-truck financing and trailer financing company located in Roseville, CA. We specialize in commercial trucking and heavy equipment. Our mission is to become your long-term financial partner by helping you grow your trucking business and fleet.
We’re not here for the short-term, we’re on the long-haul with you!
Learn more about Trailer Financing.
Fill out the contact form or give us a call at (866) 627-6644. One of our truck financing specialists will contact you as soon as possible to go over your truck lease needs and learn more about you and your business financing goals.