Rear Guardrails Added to Annual Inspection
The news in the trucking industry has been so hectic this November, we simply could not keep ahead of it.
Recently, rear impact trailer guardrails have been added as a requirement for annual FMCSA inspections.
The change is to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration’s 396 section, which deals with all things inspection and maintenance. Failure to have properly-approved rear guardrails on a trailer will not result in an out-of-service declaration, but it can result in fines of up to $15,876, a fine of which is almost certainly cheaper than outright purchase and installation of the guardrail in the first place.
Proponents for the new regulation include:
- Academy of Truck Accident Attorneys
- Advocates for Highway and Auto Safety
- American Trucking Associations (ATA)
- Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance
- Government Accountability Office (GAO)
- Institute for Safer Trucking
- Law Firm for Truck Safety
- National Association of Trailer Manufacturers (NATM)
- National Automobile Dealers Association (NADA)
- Owner-Operator Independent Drivers Association (OOIDA)
- Truckload Carriers Association
- Truck Trailer Manufacturers Association (TTMA)
The GAO suggested to the FMCSA to make this a new regulation when, in its research, it found an unhealthily high percentage of inspected trailers in 2017 either had guardrails in unacceptable condition or missing altogether.
The FMCSA loves regulation more than bees love flowers, but we think this is the best thing the FMCSA has created so far. Any video comparing the damage done comparing strong to faulty guardrails shows just how pertinent a well-conditioned rear guardrail is for any braking trucker.
What is Next
The Infrastructure Bill of 2021 contains more than just spending on roads and bridges, it includes research on the effectiveness of side guardrails that may lead to them becoming required as well. If you plan to revamp a trailer to fulfill the newest regulations, getting guardrails on the side might help make your trailer future-proof, and is also generally a good idea for safety purposes. You might even be able to get a bundle deal!
Enforcement for rear guardrail fines starts December 9th.
Top Trending Trucking Articles
- FMCSA COVID-19 Emergency Extended Another Three Months
- NTEA Cancels Conference, but not for the Reason You Expect
- Johnny Cash and the Distance to go Everywhere, Man
- CTA Petitions the Supreme Court
- Senate Passes INVEST in America Act
- Trucking Insurance Bill Reintroduced to Congress
- Biden Signs Executive Order on Truck Emissions
ABOUT TOPMARK FUNDING
TopMark Funding is a top-rated semi-truck financing and trailer financing company located in Roseville, CA. We specialize in commercial trucking and heavy equipment. Our mission is to become your long-term financial partner by helping you grow your trucking business and fleet.
We’re not here for the short-term, we’re on the long-haul with you!
We have financing options for trailers, semi-trucks, commercial trucks, and small businesses. We have great rates, low down payments, and flexible monthly payments regardless of credit history.
Learn more about Trailer Financing.
Fill out the contact form or give us a call at (866) 627-6644. One of our truck financing specialists will contact you as soon as possible to go over your truck lease needs and learn more about you and your business financing goals.