Operation Safe Driver Week 2022 Results
Truckers have a curiosity for velocity, as the Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance (CVSA) announced the results of this year’s Operation Safe Driver Week at the end of last month. The results were interesting, to say the least.
It is common knowledge that since the COVID-19 pandemic and the resulting lockdowns that put fewer vehicles on the road, traffic fatalities due to speeding have increased. The results of the most recent driver behavior enforcement blitz from the CVSA only verifies this.
- The enforcement blitz happened from July 10th to the 16th.
- In the seven days, over 35,000 motor vehicles in the United States and Canada were pulled over and inspected.
- Of these 35,000, 26,164 warnings and citations were issued.
- Of the 26,164 issues, 15,885 were related to speeding. To be precise, 8,586 citations and 7,299 warnings. With speeding being the main theme of the event, it is hardly a surprise that it was the most common reason for pulling over a vehicle.
- Both commercial motor and standard passenger vehicles were inspected. The number of warnings and citations for CMVs were 2,577 and 1,409, respectively.
Speeding is one of the leading indicators of driving behavior for accidents, up there with driving while fatigued or under the influence of drugs or alcohol. The American Research Transport Institute calculated that for every time a CMV driver is given a speeding violation, their likelihood of getting into an accident increases by 47%, compounding as the driver collects them.
In a way, traffic on the road is a necessary evil that is good in moderation due to the increased safety benefits that come with driving slower, but too much of it creates a situation where everyone loses.
As of the time of publishing, the next Operation Safe Driver Week is set to happen at a similar time as it was in 2022: July 9th to the 15th. There has been no mention of the theme for the 2023 event as of yet. What we advise for you is to take the extra few minutes it takes to drive one mile less per hour during your delivery. You would be surprised how little time you save by speeding.
ABOUT TOPMARK FUNDING
TopMark Funding is a top-rated semi-truck financing and trailer financing company located in Roseville, CA. We specialize in commercial trucking and heavy equipment. Our mission is to become your long-term financial partner by helping you grow your trucking business and fleet.
We’re not here for the short-term, we’re on the long-haul with you!
We have financing options for trailers, semi-trucks, commercial trucks, and small businesses. We have great rates, low down payments, and flexible monthly payments regardless of credit history.
Learn more about Trailer Financing.
Fill out the contact form or give us a call at (866) 627-6644. One of our truck financing specialists will contact you as soon as possible to go over your truck lease needs and learn more about you and your business financing goals.