The American trucking Association introduced a new program that aims to focus on uplifting and acknowledging the contributions of female truck drivers.
“The trucking industry relies on women – whether in the boardroom, as a technician, or behind the wheel – and we believe that by highlighting the many contributions the women already in trucking make, we can demonstrate what a rewarding and lucrative career path it can be for millions of others,” said ATA President and CEO Chris Spear.
“The name Women in Motion is an apt description of our industry, and I’m pleased that ATA is recognizing these individuals who are critical to our industry, and looking for solutions to make their jobs even more gratifying and more secure.”
Women in Motion is, “designed to elevate and highlight the contributions of women to the trucking industry, encourage more women to consider a career in trucking, and address important issues within the policy arena that specifically impact women,” according to a statement from the ATA.
Women in Motion is a Federal attempt to encourage more women to join the trucking industry. Since there is a shortage of drivers, this initiative will hopefully ease the problem.
Members of Women in Motion
The Women in Motion board of advisors consists of 18 women, two of which are active drivers and the rest are industry executives.
- Jenny Abernathy, Vice President of Enterprise Capacity Development, CRST
- Cari Baylor, President, Baylor Trucking
- Amy Boerger, Vice President and General Manager North America, Cummins, Inc.
- Mandy Graham, Chief Operating Officer, Great West Casualty Company
- Wendy Hamilton, Senior Manager, Operations and Executive Support, Pilot Company
- Rhonda Hartman, Professional Truck Driver, Old Dominion Freight Line.
- Kendra Hems, President, Trucking Association of New York
- Tamara Jalving, Vice President, Safety and Talent Acquisition, Yellow
- Jaime Maus, Vice President Safety & Compliance, Werner Enterprises
- Megan Melichar, Managing Director, Finance, FedEx Ground
- Alix Miller, President & CEO, Florida Trucking Association
- Brenda Neville, President & CEO, Iowa Motor Truck Association
- Tina Peterson, Professional Truck Driver, Red Pine Transport, Inc.
- Shellie Shellabarger, Senior Vice President, Field Operations, Stericycle
- Sarah Statlander, Vice President, Human Capital, and Talent Acquisition, Yellow
- Marilyn Surber, Transportation Advisor, TenStreet
- Angela Tillery, Managing Director, Learning & Development, FedEx Freight
- Ellen Voie, President & CEO, Women In Trucking
Who supports the program?
Many individuals are in favor of the new program, including Cari Baylor, President of Baylor Trucking, and a member of the Women in Motion board of advisors.
“As a woman in this industry, I know firsthand that while trucking can be a tough job – it is a rewarding and important one,” said Cari Baylor, President of Baylor Trucking. “I’m glad to see ATA launching this new initiative to celebrate the contributions of the many women in our industry and advocate for issues such as safe truck parking that our industry deserves.”
However, some people do not think this program address the problems in the trucking industry. Additionally, there are some people who disregard this as an issue entirely.
According to an ATA statement, the Women in Motion website includes research, a speakers bureau, and tools for women to use to promote and educate others within the industry.
Women in Motion aims to support women in trucking by providing the resources they would need to be successful. If you or anyone you know is interested in joining the wonderful world of trucking be sure to give TopMark Funding a call!
ABOUT TOPMARK FUNDING
TopMark Funding is a top-rated semi-truck financing and trailer financing company located in Roseville, CA. We specialize in commercial trucking and heavy equipment. Our mission is to become your long-term financial partner by helping you grow your trucking business and fleet.
We’re not here for the short-term, we’re on the long-haul with you!
Learn more about Trailer Financing.
Fill out the contact form or give us a call at (866) 627-6644. One of our truck financing specialists will contact you as soon as possible to go over your truck lease needs and learn more about you and your business financing goals.