International Roadcheck 2022 was a little over four months ago, and now the Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance has published its findings of the 72-hour inspection blitz across the North American continent.
- The CVSA performed 59,026 inspections over 72 hours, or over thirteen per minute.
- Mexico continues to reign supreme of the three countries in terms of out-of-service rates, but it also had the smallest number of total inspections: 3.1% out of 1,150 inspected vehicles.
- Over 36,500 of the inspections were Level I, the highest level and has a 37-step process.
- Canada has slightly safer drivers than the United States; the USA had a vehicle out-of-service rate of 23.8% and a driver rate of 6.2%, compared to Canada’s 22.6% and 5.7%, respectively.
- Across all three countries, the vehicle out-of-service rate was 23.8% and the driver rate was 6.4%.
- The most common cause for an out-of-service vehicle violation was brakes, which is similar to International Roadcheck 2021. This year it caused 25.2% of all vehicle violations, which is down from last year’s 26.5%.
- The most common cause for an out-of-service driver violation? False logs, at 45%. This is a change from the previous two years having hours-of-service being the leading violation.
- This year the CVSA put a focus on tires and wheels. Combined, wheel ends were responsible for 22.8% of all out-of-service vehicle violations.
- As an aside, the CVSA checked for seatbelt usage, and found 472 violations. A vast majority of truckers are buckling up!
It appears as though the more things change, the more they stay the same: brake systems across the continent are in need of proper maintenance. With that in mind, it is no surprise that the CVSA also has a week of inspections dedicated to brake safety alone.
Ultimately, the data shows the effect of supply chain shortages on the trucking industry. As companies cannot build new trucks to match demand, fleets are holding on to their current trucks for longer, which gives parts such as brakes and tires ample opportunity to wear thin. Hopefully it turns around soon and we can all be driving in pristine motor vehicles!
ABOUT TOPMARK FUNDING
TopMark Funding is a top-rated semi-truck financing and trailer financing company located in Roseville, CA. We specialize in commercial trucking and heavy equipment. Our mission is to become your long-term financial partner by helping you grow your trucking business and fleet.
We’re not here for the short-term, we’re on the long-haul with you!
Learn more about Trailer Financing.
Fill out the contact form or give us a call at (866) 627-6644. One of our truck financing specialists will contact you as soon as possible to go over your truck lease needs and learn more about you and your business financing goals.