California Issues Zero-Emissions Mandate
In a unanimous vote, the California Air Resources Board (CARB) approved a mandate detailing what percentage of medium-duty and heavy-duty vehicles sold in the state have to be zero emissions for the next decade and a half.
The Advanced Clean Truck rule, the first of its type, sets standards for truck and chassis sales, based on a percentage of all sales numbers, to be zero-emission. The standards are to start low and then rise:
- By 2024, 7% of Class 4-8 and 3% of Class 1-3.
- By 2030, 50% of Class 4-8 and 15% of Class 1-3.
- By 2035, 75% of all Class 8 trucks sold at a dealership must have zero emissions.
The vote came after a seven-hour board hearing, where over 150 different people from various parts of the trucking industry gave their perspectives. The likes of Tesla and Nikola Motor expressed their approval of the new standards (which is not surprising considering how the twin companies are poised to enter the market with their zero-emission vehicles soon), whereas OEMs such as Volvo said the market is unprepared to purchase zero-emission vehicles at the rate the mandate targets.
CARB hopes to work with other states to implement similar quota mandates in other states (including Oregon and Maine), so that truck dealerships cannot avoid the mandate simply by moving out of the state.
Only time will tell if the mandate is a success in bringing zero-emission vehicles to a higher rate of adoption amongst the trucking industry, and ultimately bring trucking emissions down for a healthier environment.
CORONAVIRUS [COVID-19] UPDATES AND ARTICLES
- Trucker’s Guide to When Every State is Reopening
- FMSCA Extends Hours of Service Relief Declaration
- How Truck Drivers Can Keep Their Cabs Clean During COVID-19
- International Roadcheck Delayed Over COVID-19 Fears
- Pennsylvania Reopens (Some) Rest Stops
- Truck Dealers Seek “Essential Status”
- Navistar And Paccar Halt Production
- Mack And Volvo Suspend Truck Production
- Fmcsa Expands Its COVID-19 Response
ABOUT TOPMARK FUNDING
TopMark Funding is a top-rated semi-truck financing and equipment financing company located in Roseville, CA. We specialize in commercial trucking and heavy equipment. Our mission is to become your long-term financial partner by helping you grow your trucking business and fleet.
We’re not here for the short-term, we’re on the long-haul with you!
We have financing options for semi-trucks, commercial trucks, trailers, and small businesses. We have great rates, low down payments, and flexible monthly payments regardless of credit history.
Learn more about Semi-Truck Financing
Fill out the contact form or give us a call at (866) 627-6644. One of our truck financing specialists will contact you as soon as possible to go over your truck lease needs and learn more about you and your business financing goals.