Where Are Truckers Parking?
We have written about the truck parking problem for quite some time now, but there is a question that we have not really addressed. If there really are eleven trucks for each designated truck parking spot in the nation, where are truckers stopping to get rest? One tech company sought to find out.
Lytx is a telematics provider that also uses its technology to conduct research. One such feature is the Parked Highway/Ramp feature that uses GPS to determine if a trucker has spent more than ten minutes at an off-ramp or highway shoulder, which Lytx believes is a good indicator of unsafe parking.
Their early collection data spanning over two weeks (October 6th to the 20th) covered 50,000 parking events, and what they found was the most common places for unsafe truck parking were in these twenty locations:
- I-78/US 22 West in Greenwich Township, PA
- New Jersey State Route 3 North to Lighting Way in Hudson County, NJ
- Kentucky State Route 4 West in Lexington, KY
- I-95 South in Philadelphia County, PA
- I-95 South in New Castle County, DE
- I-85 South in Jefferson, GA
- I-75 North in Atlanta, GA
- U.S. Route 95 in Humboldt County, NV
- New Jersey State Route 19 South in Paterson, NJ
- New Jersey State Route 70 East in Cherry Hill Township, NJ
- South Carolina State Route 9 North in Marlboro County, SC
- I-75 South in Atlanta, GA
- U.S. Route 13 North in Kent County, DE
- Florida State Route 997 North in Miami-Dade County, FL
- I-85 South in Jackson County, GA
- U.S. Route 95 North in Yuma County, AZ
- Virginia State Route 110 East in Arlington County, VA
- I-95/New Jersey Turnpike South in Middlesex County, NJ
- I-5 South in Los Angeles County, CA
- U.S. Route 49 West in Humphreys County, MS
The map of unsafe parking locations closely resembles a population density map.
Unsafe and illegal parking should be avoided whenever possible. However, stopping in an area that already has numerous trucks parking may prove to be safer than parking alone. Just as more vehicles on the road keeps everyone safer, more parked trucks are more likely to get the attention of passing drivers than a single parked truck off a highway in Wyoming.
There have been numerous efforts to get more truck parking spaces within America, both from public and private sectors. We hope the ratio of drivers to spaces can reach below double digits soon.
ABOUT TOPMARK FUNDING
TopMark Funding is a top-rated semi-truck financing and trailer financing company located in Roseville, CA. We specialize in commercial trucking and heavy equipment. Our mission is to become your long-term financial partner by helping you grow your trucking business and fleet.
We’re not here for the short-term, we’re on the long-haul with you!
We have financing options for trailers, semi-trucks, commercial trucks, and small businesses. We have great rates, low down payments, and flexible monthly payments regardless of credit history.
Learn more about Trailer Financing.
Fill out the contact form or give us a call at (866) 627-6644. One of our truck financing specialists will contact you as soon as possible to go over your truck lease needs and learn more about you and your business financing goals.